Monday, April 15, 2013

Hail Caesar

Yesterday I played a Hail Caesar game with my hobby club. It was a good time had by all. Seeing Bob's painted naked Celts has inspired me to start painting my minis again.

Hail Caesar is fun and we are new to it and are learning the rules together. We pushed two tables together and each played a 300 point army. The barbarians (me, the Dacian's and Bob the Celts) on one side and the Greeks (Ben, they Macedonian's? and Vince the Spartans) on the other side. With so many barbarians on the table strategy is difficult. It is more or less run forward and overwhelm the enemy.

The Spartans were protecting the hills and the town and the Macedonians were protecting the captured Dacian king who we were suppose to rescue. The Spartans formed into a square and were next to impossible to route out. But Bob was able to take the town and had surrounded the hills. I on the other hand had trouble.

My cavalry commander kept failing his command rolls so the cavalry mostly sat and watched the action. Then Ben's skirmishers were able to take out two of my light cavalry units and I was unable to even get them shaken. My first three break tests sent my units packing.

But then Ben missed a couple of his break tests and it started to look good for the Dacians. But that was a brief moment and the Dacians left the table for good.

Time ran out and the Dacian king was not rescued. Oh well, the Dacians will fight another day.








No comments:

Post a Comment